viernes, 8 de octubre de 2010

Horrorfest viewing list


It has occurred to me that many people are in need of a good viewing list for horrors.
So here for your reference are my personal top ten (or 20) with regard to actual scare factor, that have a special place in my heart. 

To clarify, this list is specifically for creepy or entertaining films, not just outright disturbing or offensive subject matter  ( I have a separate list for those ^_^) 
This has taken me forever to decide but here they are for your viewing pleasure, with the creepiest at the top.
For maximum effect turn out all the lights, turn the sound up and watch alone. Enjoy!

  • The Exorcist (the original version NOT the "version you've never seen")
  • The Shining
  • The Grudge (Japanese version)
  • A Tale of Two Sisters
  • Creep*
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973)
  • 28 Days Later 
  • Silent Hill
  • Ravenous 
  • Devil (this one is still in theaters....catch it quick!)
  • Black Christmas (original- NOT remake don't waste your time!)
  • El Orfanato
  • Candyman
  • Meet the Feebles
  • Let the Right One In (original version)
  • High Tension
  • American Psycho* (also a funny one)
  • Drag Me to Hell (this one is actually more funny than scary)
  • Casper the Friendly Ghost (had to make the list- it's a classic!)
If thrillers/creepy movies are too tame for you, and you are just looking for straight up gore-fest/offensive/disturbing film experience, most of this genre suffer from being bad movies which just contain some gratuitous scenes. 

Context is all important, so my list contains good or competent movies only, here is my recommended list for you with some favourites but be warned some of them require a strong stomach:
  • Ichi the Killer*
  •  Benny's Video
  • Funny games*
  • Das Experiment*
  • Ken park*
  • Antichrist (it's a must see! just make sure you get the original uncut version...)
  • Dead Alive
  • Natural Born Killers
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Riddlington Place
  • Human Centipede
  • Old Boy*
  • I Stand Alone*
  • Threads*
  • The Road (book more so than movie)
  • Happiness
  • In My Skin 
*Contains scenes of sexual violence




 FYI: I'll be the first to admit that there are FAR more disturbing films than these out there- I've chosen not to list many mainly because of either real scenes of animals/children being harmed.


Hope these lists are helpful to you and if I've missed something...let me know! Happy Horrorfest!



No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario